Food Diary: Old Town Cafe  

Posted by Zee


Where: 273 Swanston Street

Cuisine: Asian

Ordered: BBQ Pork with Rice

Cost: AU$8.50

Review: You know how Asian eateries in Melbourne have that steaming hot plate of rice which never seems to cool down no matter how long you leave it on the plate? As if they had microwaved it twice over before serving it to you? This is one of those places. I'd been here previously with my family, back in December 08. I'd remembered that the food was consumable, and it was convenient, so I headed over for Lunch this afternoon. The ground floor was relatively full, but not overly so. Service was quick and prompt. However, the food was a disappointment. The pork was dry and tangy and a little bland, while the rice was piping hot as usual. The side offering of two halves of lettuce didn't do much. Perhape Rose Garden has spoilt me. Am I coming back? Probably not, unless I'm really in a hurry and everywhere else is closed. Then again, my Mom claims that I chose the wrong dish to eat.

Ratings (Out of 5)

Service: 3.5
The waitress was busy cleaning my table when I arrived and upon seating me, I noticed that there was a bit of smeared egg under a soy sauce container. I expected that it'd stay there for the rest of my meal, but upon taking my order, she was back with a cloth and cleaned it up. An order was taken quickly and food arrived within 5 minutes.

Ambience: 3
Clean and tidy, if a little squeezed but can't be helped since the stores are all so tightly packed together in Central Melbourne. It's prime location after all.

Taste: 2
Being in Melbourne is no excuse since there are better places around.

This entry was posted on 2009-03-19 at Thursday, March 19, 2009 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments:

Post a Comment