Pickles  

Posted by Zee

It's been one hectic week, but there's one final hurdle to cross before the week officially draws to a close and I can start preparing for next week's assignments. Been having irregular sleeping hours of late as I've been forced to churn out work right before the deadlines. It's like they lull you into a relaxed state of mind with the Easter Break, then they hit you... hard.

Had to hand in my Social Relations Assignment on Monday a 5pm. I only got it done at 8am, then handed it up and went to sleep. Searching for secondary sources can be hard, and when they insist on academic texts, it can be a bitch. I don't know how many dead links and useless stuff I went through. And I don't see the point of putting the names of articles on Informit, only to inform me (ha!) that it's not in the database. Newspaper article headings on Mediascan are pointless too.

They had this video archive presentation on Tuesday. A total waste of time. Could have skipped that to do something else and wouldn't have missed anything important. They were like "Oh our archive in Canberra has all these videos." And they showed us quite a few clips. Then the one hour lecture was up. Interesting, but quite useless.

There was a PR test on Wednesday morning at 9.30am. Studied hard for it on Tuesday but it was a total letdown. Not that it was really difficult, but rather too easy. I think we all overestimated it. I think I got two questions wrong, but no biggie, the rest were correct I believe. 18/20 is fine with me. Good thing was, we were free to go after the test, which gave me 2 hours before the Philosophy lecture. Gotta love stuff like that.

Today was the Social Relations presentation at 10.30am. We were supposed to do a slideshow on our previous assignment that we had handed in on Monday. I worked till around 4am before going to bed. Woke at 9.45am, rushed out some notes to read from then headed over to class. The class was supposed to write feedback for the various presentations and most told me I spoke too fast. Sorry lah. My Engrish presentation skill very the lau pok. But then again, I thought the point was to provide feedback on the material, not the presentation? Quite a few pieces said they thought that my research into the secondary sources was very indepth. Perhaps my hour poring over the sources weren't in vain. Then again, I'd done it from 1-5am on a Monday morning, so it wasn't really indepth, more a case of being able to find the correct points in an article and twisting it to my needs. My favourite comment? Just two words on the A4 sheet of paper: "Very vague." Oh the irony, I expect you're talking about your own comment there haha.

So after it was done, we trooped up to the gallery up in Collins Street to take a look at photographs of Melbourne done by Mark Strizic. Alvin Ang (our tutor) made it sound like it was his own idea to bring us up on an impromptu field trip to see something he'd found in his own personal time, but when we came out of the exhibition... lo and behold, another Social Relations class with their tutor haha.

After that, went out for lunch at Chomp Chomp with Ron and Lynette and two others (can't remember names yet, sorry!). The place serves Singaporean food and you know it's a good sign when they actually spell the dish names correctly and there's no mention of "Singaporean fried rice". I tried the Hainanese Chicken Rice Dish (A$7.80) an Iced Milo. The girls have been here for more than a year since they attended Trinity and they said they came here a lot then. One had the Chicken Rice too, while Lynette had the Tom Yum and Vegetable Soup with Noodles (huge bowl, huge serving, lots of soup). Boy from Thailand (He who wrote the "too vague" comment, can't remember name :P) ordered BBQ Pork with rice. But I think they took the "Char" in Char Siew a bit too literally. Ron got the Claypot dish. Food wasn't bad and my Iced Milo turned out to be a Milo Dinosaur. Really filling even though the portion didn't look all that large. A few of them didn't finish. Ron still owes me A$13.80 (Note to self too hehe). Lynette says they only sell Milo in Asian groceries. That's why I haven't been able to find 'em. She also says they're pretty expensive. Meh.

After brunch, it was time to head back home. Feeling pretty tired already and crashed on the bed once I'd reached the apartment. Dreamed of dead babies in jars, lined up on shelves. Now what does that mean?

This entry was posted on 2009-04-23 at Thursday, April 23, 2009 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments:

Post a Comment