Believe In My God  

Posted by Zee

I was at QV today having brunch when I was accosted by two men trying to preach about the love of Jesus to me. Honestly, I have no time for these kinds of people but somehow I'm a sucker and they always attempt to save me from eternal damnation in the end. After assuring me they were onl going to take 5 minutes, they got right down to business. "You're going to hell!" the caucasian intoned. Good start. Aren't we all?

So there I was pretending to be interested and wondering if it would be bad form to continue eating in front of them. The Chinese chap was equally animated, "I used to be communist. We didn't believe in Jesus." Right. Perhaps it'd be good to hint at the time, maybe peek at my watch. They'd been here 20mins and my food was getting cold.

I pointed out the fact that the only kinds of people I'd seen preaching in the streets had been Christians. Why aren't the other religions doing so too? "Because they don't believe enough in their god. Because they're too busy saving themselves. We Christians know Jesus died for our sins." Right.

So why choose me of all people? Someone who had spent every Monday for three years in Junior College trying not to fall asleep during service? They had an answer for that too. "Imagine if you see a person burning, wouldn't you try to save him?" I couldn't help but visualise the image of that buddhist monk imolating himself in front of a horrified crowd. You've seen that picture before haven't you?

So on and on they went like a broken record. I tried to offer helpful hints too to make the conversation more interesting. What about the Shroud of Turin, do you think that's real? (It had come up during Philosophy earlier in the week haha) The Chinese guy was sure it was a fake because he'd seen the documentary where scientists had used carbon testing to show it wasn't as old as believed. So if you believe in carbon testing, what about tests showing the world is millions of years old? He was stumped for a moment and then started rambling about 4th and then 5th dimensions. Is this Christianity or Scientology?

I'm quite fine with religion honestly, but I do think we should be allowed to believe what we believe. I'll respect your religion and it's views but don't you think you should respect mine too? I believe in a higher being, a presence, but I don't give it a name. That's my choice.

So I figured since they were such helpful guys, they'd probably be understanding and listen to me too. Since I had been listening to them for close to half an hour on a topic of their choice, I decided it was my turn now.

I brought up more Philosophy stuff (Useful, these things. I didn't realise they'd come in handy). What do you think if I proposed that the day was resetting itself everytime you went to bed. What if you woke up to the same day (Groundhog Day) every day. What if all your memories of the past, all you thought was significant in proving it was a whole new day was placed there by a trickster god?

And what do you guess, they were not amused and not interested in discussing the issue. How rude. The Chinese guy kept telling me that he wanted to talk about Christianity instead and then a third guy came and pulled them away. Phooey.

This entry was posted on 2009-03-21 at Saturday, March 21, 2009 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments:

Post a Comment