Yes!  

Posted by Zee

I think I'm quite at ease in Melbourne. Sure, most things are still foreign, and some will probably continue staying so for awhile. But hell yeah, it's one big new experience. So how's classes so far? Hmm. Tough question. I love Professional Writing, I'm cool with Social Relations, kinda bored with Public Relations, and can't get my head around Philosophy sometimes.

Assignments and deadlines are just making their entrances. It's been awhile since I've had to face up to such things. I remember back in Primary School, I was simply horrible at handing up homework. Back then, those occasions when I was supposed to hand 'em up were the most unbearable of all. And yet, I still continued missing deadlines. There's something about me and procrastination, even at such a young age.

So far, it's been okay. One informal Social Relations first draft handed in (an easy do it right and you pass). There's some kind of MCQ test for PR after the Easter Break (gotta love 7 days of freedom out of nowhere), while PW has a first draft of a personal column (more on that later) due this Monday which is really soon. I'm sure I'll start panicking sometime in the near future. Social Relations requires a short assignment as a follow up to the first. Well, we thought it was short. 200 words each for three communication articles, how hard can it be? I mean it's not that long, is it? Wrong. We're supposed to add on 400 words of annotated bibliography. For each article. Yepp, the biblio' is longer than the actual article. Simply amazing.

Philosophy is the kicker. I'm supposed to be doing a presentation before the tutorial group sometime in Week 8, on this chap named Derrida. Apparently, he's some French postmodern philosopher (who didn't like being named so according to his wiki) and as far as I can tell, he came up with something called "Deconstruction". No it's not the process of tearing a building down. Har har. That's all I can tell you so far, because everytime I make up my mind to sit down and actually do some research, I read a few sentences and then fall asleep. True story.

Oh. And just the last lecture, we got handed an innocent white sheet of paper. I mean, all the lecture notes and readings handed out in Philosophy lectures are in yellow sheets, so this was something different. How true. It listed out all the essay questions we could choose from. Deadline? 23rd April. Thanks everybody, 3 weeks to write 1200-1500 words on something I have absolutely no idea about. Yay?

So back to the personal column. What am I going to write about? Hmm, I mentioned my first trip on a Melbourne train that day in practical on a lark and everybody just presumed I'd be writing about that for my column. Apparently, it sounds interesting and really informative. Not really though. So to save my bacon, this Saturday, I'll be taking the train to nowhere in particular. I'll just board it and go whizzing about, taking notes and snapping pictures and hopefully I'll find my way home full of new ideas.

Or maybe I'll end up in Bundoora at the stroke of midnight, lost and hungry.

Time really flashes pass. I think it was just awhile ago when I was marvelling at how I'd been in this country for a month. Well guess what? It's now a month and a half, we're in April. I was just moaning about the start of the schoolweek and now it's the weekend. It's like life's in fast forward or something.

They had this movie screening downstairs tonight showing Jim Carey's Yes Man. And of course I said Yes to it (Lame, I know but can't resist). Someone remarked that Zooey Deschanel kinda looks like Meg Ryan. Speaking of which, what happened to Meg Ryan?

P.S Just got feedback from the tutor for my personal profile first draft submission! Been waiting for weeks :) I'll post the whole thing after this.

This entry was posted on 2009-04-02 at Thursday, April 02, 2009 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments:

Post a Comment