Around Town  

Posted by Zee

Before today, the Melbourne public transport system had been a total mystery to me. Metcard? Validation? Tram? Train? Buses? I mean, the closest I came to it was taking the City Circle Tram around town. And when I say around town, I mean exactly that. For the uninitiated, the City Circle Tram does a whole circuit around the CBD and it's absolutely free. So all I do is hop on and hop off. Absolutely hassle free if you don't mind the eclectic mix of nationalities on board (and an almost equal kid to adult ratio) plus irritating touristy commentary along the way.

Today, I took a leap into the unknown. I bought a 5 x weekend daily metcard and ventured into the depths of the Melbourne Central station. I've been around Melbourne Central countless times, but mostly aboveground in the shopping arcade. The station and what it held within was virtually the unknown (wait I've used that word twice already, haven't I? One of my shortcomings I'm afraid. I'll have to work on it. Then again, can you think of another word for unknown?).

So needless to say, it went well. I didn't get lost in Geelong or Porepunkah (saw that in the Herald Sun ha!). I made it to where I wanted to go. Southern Cross. Yes, the DFO. I know how I've probably been there like 3 or 4 times already but I don't know. I feel like I've been wearing the same outfit every week. I can't even switch it around much. There's about like three different combinations. Plus I have to do the laundry ever so often. It's a bleeding waste of time and money (2hours, $7).

The trains look spacious! Even though there's more seating than on the MRT back home. Of course the carriages are longer and stuff. But I haven't seen rush hour either. I took the train after lunch hour on a weekend. So passengers were at a premium. The train from Melbourne Central was cool, clean and comfortable. When the train reached Southern Cross (one stop. Yay for laziness!), I stood in front of the doors waiting for it to open. The girl beside me sniffed in disgust, reached over and pressed the button to open them. What? We have to open our own doors here? At least now I know.

On the way back, the tram was stuffy, dirty and uncomfortable. Probably the older model. It was definitely more crowded too as we passed Flinders and then Parliament. And there was no button on the exit doors! I started panicking until I noticed that there was a handle. Oh, so this one opens by brute strength. Got it. Or so I thought. When the train pulled in to Melbourne Central, I got up and strode confidently to the doors, gave it an almighty yank and then watch horrified as it banged against the sides and almost rebounded. Oops. Cue hurried exit and fast trot to the escalators.

On the walk back to the apartment, I felt a twinge in my left ankle. Apparently, I'd sprained it somewhere on the journey back. It felt so... uncomfortable. I didn't think it was something that'd just go away, something that could be simply walked off. I needed an ankle brace, but I'd left mine at home. What to do? After some painful pacing around the apartment trying to make it go away, I decided to walk across the street to QV to see if they had any. Most of the shop were closed but Safeway and Big W were still open. And guess what? They don't stock any. IGM on the other side of the street didn't have any either. Then while moping back to the apartment, I realised I was walking normally. The sprain was gone! I'd walked it off. Glad the trip was worthwhile after all, except not in any way I'd imagined.

I've been toying with getting restarted with a novel again. I've always held back, thinking ahh I'll do it when I have time. Besides, no one's going to publish it. You know how they say that like 99% of scripts don't even get read. But I'm close to 22 now and I haven't even tried. I know I can write, and yet there's still nothing. Apart from bits and pieces all over the net of course. And mostly inconsequential stuff, the sort of thing people read and then forget about. Of course, it's nice to receive good feedback at time, like girls writing to say how you should have warned them they'd need tissues or guys... wait a minute. The guys don't write haha! They just tell you you're a good writer. Bad for my ego. It just makes my head swell without any constructive advice.

Back to the present, Raceday at Albert Park tomorrow! Was watching qualifying today while chatting to Johnny on MSN today. Brawn looks really really strong. I'm astonished by the McLarens' horrible showing and rooting for "Titanium man" Mark Webber. But Johnny is right. If the promoters mention "First ever twilight race" one more time, I'm going to stick my finger down my throat. Honestly. Maybe they're hoping to lure unsuspecting fangirls who think that it's some movie spinoff.

Pictures in tomorrow once I get back. Pictures of the race of course, and exclusives of Johnny's horrible buzzcut.

This entry was posted on 2009-03-28 at Saturday, March 28, 2009 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments:

Post a Comment